Topic: LEGAL & ETHICAL ISSUES IN OBSTETRIC PRACTICE
All Nursing Student’s And Nurse professional
Subject: Midwifery nursing
Currently there is growing concern in the relationship of care giver and the care receiver/ client in medical practice, in terms of mutual trust and understanding. However, medico-legal problems in obstetric practice arising when physician or care provider fails to exercise their duty properly.
Common areas of legal threat in obstetric: There are certain areas where claims are frequent and sometimes very high. These fields are-
- Peri natal injury:
- Still birth and neonatal death
- Brain damage to baby following breech delivery
- Maternal injury:
- Maternal trauma
- Maternal death
- Forgotten packs in abdominal cavity or within the vagina
- Instrumental delivery
- Operative delivery
Measure to minimize the Medico-legal problems
- Communication- must be made in a clear and understandable way to the client and the relatives about the management decision.
- Informed and written consent- must be taken before any agreed management decision.
- Proper documentation of facts in the patient’s file clearly and legibly in respect of date and time.
- Strict adherence to establish management protocol is essential.
- Adequate training and supervision of staff.
- Consultation with other physician in the specialty when any difficulty is faced as regard the patient care.
- Regular audit and meetings- should be done to update the knowledge of all the staff involved in patient care.
B.Sc in Nursing