Topic: Concept Of Community Health (lecture-1)
Subject: Community Heath Nursing-I
For Diploma And B.Sc in nursing 2nd year. I hope it will helps you to gain batter knowledge About community,Health and Other’s. At the end of this lecture, the learner able to know about-
- Definition of community.
- Characteristics of community.
- Definition of health.
- Definition of Community Health.
- Definition of public health.
- Objectives of public health.
- Community health nursing.
- Community oriented nursing.
- Community based nursing.
- Characteristics of community oriented nursing.
- Characteristics of community oriented nurses.
- Differences between public health and community health.
Now let’s discuss about the key point in the below-
Definition of Community
Community can be defined as a collection of group of people in social interaction in a definite geographical area and sharing a common social and cultural life.
A community is a social group determined by geographical boundaries and sharing common values and interest.
Community may be defined as a collection of people who interact with one another and who’s common interests for a sense of unity, sharing common interest, living under the same laws & regulations.
Characteristics of Community:
- A geographical area
- Economic status
- Specific functions or occupations as a whole for the community.
- Group dependence or belonging and an independent behavior.
Definition of health:
According to world health organization (WHO) Health is “a state of complete physical, mental, social and spiritual well-being and not merely an absence of disease or infirmity so that each citizen can lead a socially and economically productive life”.
It is the health in which meeting collective needs by identifying problems and managing interactions within the community and larger society.
Community health is defined as “all the personal health and environmental services in any human community, irrespective of whether such services were public or private.
Definition of public health
Public health is science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health and efficiency through organized community efforts such as control of infection, sanitation, health education etc.
Objectives of public health
- Control of physical environment.
- Control of communicable disease.
- Prevention, treatment and rehabilitation of chronic diseases and behavioral disorder.
- To make maximum utilization of available resources to ensure health for all.
- To improve the efficacy of health care delivery system.
Community health nursing
Community health nursing is nursing practice in the community with the primary focus on the health care of individuals, families and groups in a community. The goal is to preserve, protect and promote or maintain health.
Community health as a field of nursing which combines nursing practice with public health science to formulate a community oriented & population- focused practice that “synthesizes the knowledge from the public health sciences and professional nursing theories” to improve the health of communities and vulnerable populations.
Community oriented nursing
Community oriented nursing is nursing that has its primary focus the health care of either the community or individuals, families or group.
Community based nursing
Community based nursing is the provision of acute care and care of chronic health problems to individuals and families in the community.
Characteristics of community oriented nursing
- It is a field of nursing.
- It combines public health with nursing.
- It is population focused.
- It emphasizes prevention, health promotion and wellness.
- It promotes clients responsibilities and self care.
- It uses aggregate measurement and analysis.
- It uses principles of organizational theory, and
- It involves inter-professional collaboration.
Characteristics of community oriented nurses
- Knowledge of public health
- Physical fitness
- Mental fitness
- Moral characteristics
- Communication skill
- Leadership qualities
- Critical thinking
- Organizing power
- Conscious about timing
- Controlling power
- Knowledge of law.
Differences between public health and community health
|Public health is science and art of preventing disease, prolonging life and promoting health and efficiency through organized community efforts such as control of infection, sanitation, health education etc.
||Community health is defined as “all the personal health and environmental services in any human community, irrespective of whether such services were public or private one”.
|It is a part of community health.
||It covers all the aspects of public health, preventive medicine and social medicine.
|In practice public health components are community water supply, proper sewage disposal, good housing etc.
||Its components are curative, preventive, promotive and rehabilitative services.
|To control physical environment and communicable diseases.
||To promote physical and social wellbeing of the people.
|Community participation not needed.
||Community participation is essential.