LESSON PLAN : Definition, important, component and Format
Subject: Nursing Education
For 4th year B.Sc in nursing and 3rd year Diploma in Nursing.
Lesson plan is a detailed plan or description of teaching learning activities for each specific session or segment of learning. It is a guideline for the teacher to cover the topic comprehensively and systematically.
Lesson plan is a plan which guides the teacher to carry out the teaching activities systematically and sequential order.
Purposes of lesson plan
- Lesson plan helps the teacher to prepare and collect resources beforehand.
- It ensures wise utilization of class time.
- It guides the teacher to remain in right tract.
- It makes the clear understanding of teacher and students what to be achieved from the session.
- It guides the teacher to teach the topic logically, comprehensively and systematically.
- It helps the teacher to complete the lesson in time.
- It provides continuity in teaching.
- It helps the teacher to review the previous class.
- It provides time for revision, summarization and evaluation of the class.
Characteristics of lesson plan
- It should be written.
- It should have clear aims.
- It should be linked with the previous knowledge.
- It should show technique of teaching.
- It should contain suitable organized subject matter.
- It should be flexible.
- It should include the summary.
- It should provide for self-evaluation.
Component of lesson plan
- Name of subject
- Name of topic
- Level of students
- Number of students
- Duration of class
- Place of class
- Methods of teaching
- Resources used
- Time and date
- Name of the teacher
- Room layout
- General objectives
- Specific objectives
Principles of selection of methods of teaching
- Methods are to be selected according to topic.
- It depends on contents to be taught.
- Feasibility to use the method is to be considered.
- Availability of time is to be ensured.
- Level and number of students are to be remembered.
- Competence of teacher.
- Active and passive learning is to be balanced.
- It should be cost effective.
- Social and ethical aspect of use of the method.
Principles of selection of the content of a topic to prepare lesson plan
- Content is to be selected according to the learning objectives.
- Students should provide opportunity to translate the learning into practice.
- Availability of time is to be considered.
- Facilities and resources are to be considered.
Format of lesson plan
Title of the course : Fundamentals of Nursing-I
Topic : Mouth Care
Place : Class room no.2 (TMMC, NU)
Duration : 30 minutes/ 2 hours
Level of students : First year students B.Sc in Nursing
Number of students : 50
Name of student teacher: A
Method of instruction: Lecture cum Discussion, Demonstration Method
Media to be used : Chalk board, handout so on.
General Objective– The students will be acquiring knowledge develops skill and attitude on mouth care to perform/ give mouth care properly according to the need of the individual patient.
Specific objectives- at the end of the session the students will be able to-
- Define the mouth care.
- List the purposes of mouth care.
- Explain the condition of patients who need mouth care.
- Describe the condition due to lack of mouth care.
- Arrange the equipment for giving mouth care.
- Demonstrate the procedure for giving mouth care.
||Teaching learning activities
|· Self, students & topic
· Presentation of learning objectives
· Sharing existing knowledge of the students for assessing background knowledge